Saturday, February 22, 2014

Just A Little Late To The Party

I am usually late to things.  It is usually only a few minutes.  And, honestly, I don't really like being late.  But this time,  I think I went a little over a few minutes.  I think I am more like a few years.  Well, I guess better late than never.  So many questions, may come to mind when you stumble across this blog, so I thought the best way to provides some answers would be in true Q&A format.

What really is this blog about and why choose the name "The Broken Samaritan?"

First and foremost, this blog is about serving others.  It is my attempt to listen to God and provide a service to my family, neighbors, friends, community, country and world.  Initially, I was going to call the blog, The Good Samaritans, but it didn't feel right.  While this blog tells a story about my attempts at serving others and being selfless, I want it to be "real." I am a flawed, broken person that has to ask for grace about a gazillion times a day.

What qualifies you to write a blog on service?

Nothing really.  Remember, the Good Samaritan in the bible.  He was just an ordinary person and while he chose to do the right thing with the guy in the ditch, I have no doubt later that day he was on his knees asking for some grace.  Yep, that's me. Trying to do it right, but failing along the way.  Also,  I am a mother of four.  And like many of you, I am desperate to raise my children in a Godly way while living in a fallen world full of entitlement and selfishness.  I have been on this service journey for the last five years.  I have co-founded and lead two service groups,  Moms on A Mission and Kids On A Mission.   I helped launch a non-profit, House of Light (www.houseoflightproject.blogspot.com). House of Light works with a local homeless shelter, Family Tree, to furnish homes with furniture donated from people in our area.
Most of the people we serve are single moms escaping abusive situations and getting off the streets.


Why start now when the blog world has been in full swing for years?

I am going to stand by the old motto, "better late than never," but I am not real sure that is the reason. I believe it has taken all my experiences and life adventures up to this point to put me in a place where I feel writing this blog is right.  Also, just a little background on myself.  As a mentioned in the previous question, I have four children.  My four children are five and a half years apart.  Yep, my oldest wasn't in kindergarten when my baby was born.  Well, my youngest is in first grade now, and four kids attend an full day of school. I have done other things in the past 11 years outside
 of the home.  I have sold candles. I have done independent public relations and marketing.  I have helped teach preschool and have been an administrative assistant.  Oh ya,  I also worked at a book store and waitressed. (Do you think I was searching?)  Lately,  I have been doing LOTS of praying to ask, "what is next?"   "And please whatever might be next, make it something meaningful." This is a piece of what I believe is next.

Why read this blog?

I am a real mom and a real person with a TON of shortcomings.  I want you to laugh with me and cry with me, but above all, I want you to be inspired to serve others and make a small step in changing our world and our kids' world.  

1 comment:

  1. GIRL!!!! I am so excited for you! And you are completely qualified. I can't wait to see how God uses you in your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete