Friday, February 28, 2014

Gold Medal Champion

There has to be a gold medal in heaven for moms.  I can tell you the hardest service I do is to serve my family, specifically keeping my patience when things get rocky with my kids.  Know this right now, I don't always do it.

I have to share a story. First, this really did happen. Second, God must have a sense of humor.

Mornings are hectic here at the Pfalmer house.  Sometimes there is laughter and sometimes there are tears.  But almost always, we are late.  It doesn't matter when we get up, time gets away from us.  On this particular morning, we were not too late or really late at all.  We were just on the verge of being late. I sent the boys to the car and took one more look through the house. I wanted to make sure all the lights were off and the dog was put up. A much easier task when three noisy boys are already in the car.

Exhaling a deep breath, I patted myself on the back. One more day and one less tardy! And that is when I saw the chaos in the car.

I had a three-liter bottle of soda (yes, THREE liter soda, sold only at the dollar store) spraying or should I say, spewing in my car.  The boys had been messing around and dropped the bottle on the metal guide below the driver's seat.  This created a puncture in the bottle. The result was something just short of Old Faithful.

To my utter disbelief, my second son and third born was trying to put his mouth over the hole to stop the spray.   Was it because of my many lectures on waste or should I give these kids more soda??

Frantically, I raced to the car and crouched down to grab the bottle.  I drive a Durango with doors that weigh 500 pounds. One of those well-designed doors wasn't pushed open all the way and as I tried to stop the possessed soda, I nearly suffered a concussion from the door. With an eye full of generic Sprite, I grabbed the unruly soda and threw it into my neighbors yard.  Soda dripped from the ceiling, filled my boys' shoes and doused my hair.

Too late to change, I hopped in the front seat, started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

My oldest and sometimes wisest son said, "At least if wasn't the grape soda!"

Funny God, funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment