Saturday, March 1, 2014

Service an Antidote to Being Grumpy: A Valentine's Day Recap


Ever have one of those weeks where you are grumpy and you do not know why? When the sound of your  sweet child's voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard? Or your husband, bless his heart, leaves his dirty socks on the floor?  Or someone has left the last gallon of milk on the counter to spoil and doesn't that someone know milk these days is like liquid gold?  Ever had one of those weeks, when these little things or some similar are going to make your head pop off?  I mean seriously, put both hands on the top of your head , because it may pop right off your body. It has happened to me all this week and to add to my "mother-of-the-year" credentials, it is Valentine's Day this week. Shouldn't it be the week of love? Hugs and kisses? Pink pancakes and sweet love notes in lunch boxes? 

Yesterday, I was going to help out a good friend clean her house because her sweet daughter is battling brain cancer again. (Makes my previous paragraph sound like I may be the worst person in the world!)  And I was nervous. I can organize with the best of 'em and dig something out of the trash and make it beautiful with a quick coat of spray paint, but my bathrooms are only one step above fraternity house.  In fact, my husband, bless his heart again, said, "They asked you to clean?" 
So yes, I was nervous. Would I clean it well enough? Was I supposed to bring my own cleaning supplies? Should I bring rubber gloves? Gasp, I don't have any rubber gloves or many cleaning supplies for that matter.  Anyway, I was nervous and the kids were talking and those sweet little voices were, like I said, fingernails on chalkboards.  I never went so far as crazy mom, but I had to take a deep breath and pray when my oldest heated up a stick of butter to soften for like 10 minutes in the microwave. And you know what? The bowl and butter got hot. So what is one to do? Well, of course, drop it like it's hot...all over homework folders and the wood floor and dripping down my white cabinets.  I didn't yell, steam just leaked from my ears.  My kids knew I was mad. I don't know why I can't let accidents happen...well, happen and just smile sweetly.  "Oh sugar, don't you worry. Accidents happen and I like having a butter-like ice skating rink in the kitchen ten minutes before the last bell rings for school."

 Guess how I got out of that funk? I dropped the kids off for school and I drove my rubber-gloveless self to my dear friends house and I knocked on the door. I waited and when I saw her sweet face open the door, my heart melted. Here was my dear friend, God's child, and she didn't care if I had rubber gloves or I wasn't the best house cleaner, she needed some fellowship and friendship. I did my best scrubbing bathrooms and cabinets and I am sure they have seen better.  But, I did an even better job at being her friend.  We talked and laughed. We hugged and cooed at babies.  When I left her house my heart was full. It wasn't about cleaning a house, it was about friendship and doing something for someone else...the best remedy for getting rid of the grumpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment