Friday, March 7, 2014

Shouldn't All Good Church Girls Love To Read the Bible?


I love words.  It is easy to see how much I love them when you come into my house. Books are stacked everywhere...on the entry table, on every night stand in my bedroom and on each of my kiddos' night stands and dresses, too.   Not only do words I admire, crave and get lost in come from the pages within the hard covers of all these books, I write inspirational words on chalkboards.

So maybe I have went a little chalkboard crazy. It seems I have put a chalkboard on every flat surface in the house to remind the kiddos of homework and household chores, to remind every one in the house to be "kinder than necessary" as they walk out the front door and across from the kitchen table to remind us of all who we need to pray for.  
The only few flat surfaces that don't have a chalkboard hold framed scripture printables.

Our eating area has a collage of signs reminding us what we do "in this house," "a family that prays together stays together," "in our home let love abide, and bless all those that step inside," and "let us be silent that's we may hear the whisper of God." Okay, now that I see it in print I realize maybe I have gone a little word crazy! But "word crazy" is what I have always been.

In first grade, I was the first one to read every book in the classroom. My teacher was unprepared for it and what she would give for her promised reward so...she gave me a Hulk coloring book as big as I was.  The only problem is that it had already been colored (another post altogether).  By the time I was in fourth grade, I had read most of the classroom books and a good portion of the school library's books as well. You can imagine my sheer joy, when I learned the book mobile would come once a month to my rural school. For anyone that didn't grow up in a rural area, imagine a small library in a large van, circulating the latest books from school to school.   My mom graciously signed a form allowing me to read any book in this new book Mecca.  Once I completed high school and scampered off to college, it seemed a natural choice to get my undergrad in literature. How else can you go to four years of all college and get to read great literature?  

So you see, I have always had a love affair with words. They have inspired me, provided counsel when needed and transported me to a place I could escape to as well.  What I say next will shock you. As much as I love words and reading, and the fact I love God even more, why can't I love reading the Bible? There I said it. I am starting to pit out just typing it, glancing over my shoulder to see if any lightening clouds are brewing.  Every morning I read my devotionals that are why can't I love reading the Bible? There I said it. I am starting to pit out just typing it, glancing over my shoulder to see if any lightening clouds are brewing.  Every morning I read my devotionals that are conveniently sent to my phone.  Every Tuesday, I go to church to do a bible study with my girls. Every morning (I try, see post with melted butter) I do devotionals with my kids. I help them memorize scripture and read passages about Noah and Goliath.  Then, why can't I remember it all? Why do I look like a deer in the headlights, when people chat about their favorite scripture? You know mine is the one when God talks about those things we are commanded to do and He commands us to love him and our neighbor and yep, it is somewhere in the bible, maybe toward the middle.

You see, I have a dilemma.  What is a church girl to do when she struggles reading the bible, her brain turns to mush when she tries to memorize scripture and she needs a strong will just to get through morning devotionals without glancing over to Pinterest? I don't have the answers.  I think God gave me as one of my thorns in my side like He did with Paul (don't judge if I got the wrong disciple).  My answer to myself, keep on trying. If I can make a million attempts to read Shakespeare in college, since God's words trumps anything even Shakespeare, I am going to make a gazillion attempts to stay in His word. Maybe it isn't supposed to be easy for me. Maybe it is because I don't respect the easy. Maybe God is telling me to get off Pinterest and don't fill your head with things you don't need. If you only have so much space up in that noggin, you better do a little house cleaning and make room for what you really need! So pray dear ladies, pray that I can get this bible thing right and honor the one that truly deserves it, our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment