Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Taking the Time: Serving Your Family with Your Time


I just hung up with the doctor doing my surgical breast biopsy on Friday. Chances are it is nothing. But I will tell you this for sure, since yesterday I have been kissing my kids more and telling them every chance I get 'I love them." Also, I can tell you the impending to do list of cleaning bathrooms, organizing the games and pantry have lost their sense of urgency. I even felt the sunshine beating on my face and took a deep breath of the crisp, fresh air.  For the past few hours, I was able to feel childhood.  Remember, when you would just bask in the sunshine  without a care in the world.  I had that for a while as I jumped on our trampoline playing crack the egg and then scissor kicking and yelping with my middle guy.  I also really listened when my youngest was throwing sticks into the snow playing like they were arrows. I then was able to watch him grab them with hush bare feet and pull them out. Hilarious and definitely a moment a couple days ago, I would have missed. 

Not missing these moment made me wonder about what was happening and why and what God's plan might be.  Had this little bump in the road really been such an inconvenience?  Of course, it wasn't in my plan? I have bible studies to go to, kids classrooms to volunteer in, yoga classes to sweat through, groceries to buy, and basketball games to coach. But inconvenience? Or just not my plan. I wonder if God gives us these moments to remind us what is really important.  Is He doing us a service? Is my busy life too filled with tutors, competitive soccer practices, organized game closets and pantries that I am missing the warm sunshine on my face, little toes that grab sticks and a middle child's belly laughs?

I hope no matter what the outcome, I will remember to take the time to appreciate the small things that really matter in being a mom.  My kids don't care if things are organized.  Shoot, I think they operate better in the mayhem. They just want a mom that really listens.  A mom that takes time to jump on the trampoline (even if she needs to make a bathroom stop first). A mom that can appreciate the sunshine on her face.

1 comment: